The Vegas Golden Knights (19-8-1, 39 points) were beaten 5-1 Wednesday night by the New York Rangers (13-10-5, 31 points) at home on Hispanic Heritage Knight. For whatever reason, the Golden Knights continued to struggle at home, and are now 7-6-0 at T-Mobile Arena.
The Golden Knights were outplayed in the first period, came back in the second, but let in four goals in the third period.
GOLDEN KNIGHTS LINEUP
Both Alex Pietrangelo (personal reasons) and Jack Eichel (lower body) remained out for the Golden Knights. Recalled from the Henderson Silver Knights Wednesday afternoon, Jonas Rondbjerg was inserted into the lineup on the third line, replacing Michael Amadio.
Paul Cotter- Chandler Stephenson- Mark Stone (c)
Reilly Smith- William Karlsson – Jonathan Marchessault
Jonas Rondbjerg- Nicolas Roy – Phil Kessel
Will Carrier – Jake Leschyshyn – Keegan Kolesar
Alec Martinez- Zach Whitecloud
Brayden McNabb – Shea Theodore
Nicolas Hague- Daniil Miromanov
Logan Thompson/Adin Hill
Out: Jack Eichel, Alex Pietrangelo/Brett Howden/Ben Hutton, Michael Amadio
- The former fourth line of Nicolas Roy, Will Carrier, and Keegan Kolesar started the game for head coach Bruce Cassidy to set the tone.
- 1-0 NYR GOAL- K'Andre Miller's point shot was tipped in by Kaapo Kakko. The Rangers had a ton of traffic in front of Logan Thompson.
- Chandler Stephenson made a drive behind the net and then found Mark Stone in the slot. A pad save was made by Igor Shesterkin.
- Logan Thompson made a big save on Chris Kreider after Jacob Trouba found him with a shot-pass.
- The Golden Knights looked tired in the first period, having few offensive chances and struggling to get out of their own zone.
- NYR PP- In his season debut with the Golden Knights, Jonas Rondbjerg went off for tripping Sammy Blais.
- The Golden Knights escaped the first only down 1-0. The Rangers led in shots 15-5 in the first period.
- The Rangers continued to be quick to pucks and outwork the Golden Knights in the early stages of the second.
- Cassidy once again rotated the bottom six with the Keegan Kolesar, Nicolas Roy, and Will Carrier line making more appearances together.
- Paul Cotter shrugged off a Rangers defenseman to work his way to the net and get a shot on Igor Shesterkin.
- Alec Martinez almost made a goal-costing turnover to Filip Chytil in front of the net. But Chytil's shot went over the cage.
- The Golden Knights had just nine shots on goal halfway through the game on Vezina-winning goaltender Igor Shesterkin.
- The pace of the game dramatically shifted after the Golden Knights had a couple of shifts in the offensive zone generating shots.
- VGK PP- The Golden Knights drew two penalties; Vincent Trocheck for tripping and Ryan Lingren for cross-checking.
- Mark Stone was the victim on the Ryan Lindgren cross-check. He was in some pain and left the ice for the VGK but was able to return.
- 1-1 VGK GOAL- Jonathan Marchessault scored on the Golden Knight's 5-on-3 powerplay with a nice patient pass from Chandler Stephenson.
Marchy with the equalizer 🤩
Marchy con el empate pic.twitter.com/bNqDeUzG6p
— Vegas Golden Knights (@GoldenKnights) December 8, 2022
- 4 on 4- Things got chippy between Barclay Goodrow and Keegan Kolesar. Both went off for roughing, where they scheduled a fight.
- FIGHT- Right out of the box, Keegan Kolesar and Barclay Goodrow fought in a very spirited tilt.
Good scrap between Goodrow and Kolesar. Decision: Kolesar. pic.twitter.com/Hqkd9k2xS7
— Rob Taub (@RTaub_) December 8, 2022
- Logan Thompson continued to battle all game. He took a shot off the mask, and the fans at T-Mobile chanted, "Logan, Logan, Logan."
- The Golden Knights, who had just nine shots halfway through the second period, finished the period down in shots 22-26.
- NYR PP- The second period ended with Shea Theodore being called for slashing, so the Rangers started the third on the powerplay.
- The Golden Knights killed, but it wasn't without Mark Stone being hit with a puck. He went to the dressing room but returned again.
- Phil Kessel displayed his passing ability, getting the puck to William Karlsson in the slot who got a shot but was stopped.
- NYR PP- Shea Theodore went to the box again, this time for tripping.
- 2-1 NYR GOAL- Mika Zibanejad scored from the right faceoff dot on the powerplay.
- 3-1 NYR GOAL- 24 seconds later, the Rangers scored in transition with the Golden Knight's defense pinching. Filip Chytil got the goal.
- 4-1 NYR GOAL- The game slipped away for the Golden Knights as Alexis Lafreniere scored to make it a three-goal lead for the Rangers.
- VGK PP- Jacob Trouba was called for a high stick, but Mark Stone went off for tripping not long after.
- 4 on 4- Mark Stone went to the box for tripping.
- 5 on 3- Brayden McNabb cross-checked Adam Fox from behind, giving the Rangers 20 seconds of 5-on-3 powerplay time.
- 5-1 NYR GOAL- Mika Zibanejad scored from the same spot, and on the powerplay again.
- Chandler Stephenson was called for a 10-minute game misconduct at the end of the game.
VHN's Player of the Game: Mark Stone
When the Golden Knights were in this game, Stone was a main catalyst for the team's success. He also battled through two injuries tonight.
Up Next: The Golden Knights will play their second game in their retro jerseys at home on Friday against the Philadelphia Flyers at 7:00 p.m.