The Vegas Golden Knights withstood a three-goal third period from the Anaheim Ducks, getting the tie-breaking goal from Zach Whitecloud with just under four minutes to go in regulation time.
Vegas improves to 8-1-1 to start the season, the best start in franchise history.
The Golden Knights dominated the opening 40 minutes, carrying a 4-1 lead into the second intermission. Vegas received goals from Chandler Stephenson, Jonathan Marchessault, Alex Tuch and Nicolas Roy. But in the third the Ducks roared back, scoring three times and tying the game at 9:59 of the third period on Ryan Getzlaf’s power play goal.
Late in the third, Whitecloud pinched down on the play and scored off a rebound in front of the Ducks net for his second goal of the season. It gives Vegas wins in all three outings against the Ducks this season.
- Once again, the Golden Knights had to show resilience after falling asleep for half the third period. They picked themselves back up and scored the winner in regulation, holding on at the end with the Ducks net empty.
- Dylan Coghlan picked up his first NHL point with an assist on Stephenson’s goal.
- Neither Shea Theodore nor Tomas Nosek was available for the third period. As soon as we have an update we will pass it along.
- Alex Pietrangelo did not play due to COVID-19 protocols but is expected back later in the week.
- Vegas is now 4-0 when debuting a new jersey.
- Mark Stone extended his assist streak to four games (six assists).
- Marc-Andre Fleury won again, stopping 19 shots to improve to 5-0.
- Cody Glass had two assists and is now riding a four-game point streak (2-3-5).