It’s official – the NHL and NHLPA have agreed to terms for the upcoming 2021 season and we’ve got the details. The Vegas Golden Knights can look forward to a 56-game schedule this season.
Both the NHL Board of Governors and the NHLPA had to ratify the agreement in separate votes. Both approvals came today (Sunday).
Here are the important dates and information.
- The NHL season will begin on January 13, with training camps starting January 3 for most teams and December 31 for the seven teams that did not qualify for the return to play last season. The season will conclude on May 8.
- For those asking, the Stanley Cup Playoffs will be the normal 16 teams with four, best-of-seven rounds.
- The NHL says it will return to a “normal” hockey schedule for October of 2021.
- The Vegas Golden Knights will play in the simply-named West Division. As told you previously the Dallas Stars were swapped out of the division in favor of the Minnesota Wild for competitive balance. The West Division features the Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avalanche, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues and the Golden Knights.
- There will not be any pre-season games.
- The NHL trade deadline is April 12th.
- The NHL Entry Draft will be July 23 and 24 this summer.
- The Seattle Kraken expansion draft is tentatively scheduled for July 21, but will definitely take place before the draft.
- Free agency is slated for July 28.
For more information on dates, TSN has a very good article here.